SPECIAL OLYMPICS ELIGIBILITY STATEMENT
Special Olympics training and competition is open to every person with intellectual disabilities, 8 years and older. All Athletes must have the following completed before participation:
- Current SO Athlete Medical Form
- Health History & Medical Exam and/or Medical Referral Form on file with Belvidere Park District
- Special Recreation Department and current through the state level of competition, for each sport, prior to registration. Dates are included in program descriptions to help facilitate this requirement. If you would like to check the validity of an athlete’s form, at any time, head over to https://www.soill.org/athlete-coach-lookup/ to verify expiration date. Complete a one-time (unless guardianship changes) Consent Form. Complete and/or update participant information via ePACT system. You will receive an email once registered with more information. Attend Parent/Athlete Informational Meeting with Belvidere Park District
- Special Recreation Department SO Athletic Director (SOAD), which will cover the Belvidere Park District
- Special Recreation SO Handbook. Contact the SOAD, Katie Humphrey, at 815-547-5711
Athletes will practice basic football skills in antici- pation of the Region A tournament in September. Please remember to bring a mouth guard, water bottle, wear non-metal cleats (not required), and dress weather appropriate. (KH) • Min/Max: 8/12 Location: Sundstrand Park • Time: 6-7pm Transportation: NONE; provided to/from SO tournaments and games
Athletes will participate in the traditional team competition. Practices will focus on basic volleyball skills and sportsmanship. The team will participate in the Special Olympics Region A Volleyball tourna- ment in September. Gold medal teams advance to Fall Games in Rockford during October. (KH) Min/ Max: 8/12 • Location: Rivers Edge Recreation Cen- ter • Time: 6-7pm • Transportation: NONE; provid- ed to/from games/tournaments only
It’s time to roll some strikes! Join your teammates to prepare for the 2022 Region A tournament in August 20-21. Fee includes shoes, 3 games of bowling, and individual instruction as needed. Bowlers are placed on lanes by age and ability. (KH) Min/Max: 10/30 • Location: The Cherry Bowl, Cherry Valley • Time: 6-9pm • Transportation: NONE • No League on 7/4.
PIRATES IN THE PARADE
Calling all Special Olympics athletes! It’s time to take to the streets in the annual Heritage Days Pa- rade. Wear your best red, white, and blue outfits along with SO medals (not required) in honor of Independence Day. Please dress weather appropri- ate, wear closed toed shoes, and apply sunscreen before arriving. Athletes will be contacted a few days prior with meeting location and time. (KH) Min/Max: 4/10 • Location: Main Street in Bel- videre • Time: Noon-2pm • Transportation: NONE
*SPECIAL OLYMPICS STATEMENT – The fee for participating in Special Olympics Track & Field and Softball is charged by the Belvidere Park District to help offset the expenses related to running the programs. Special Olympics Illinois does not charge athletes to participate in competitions.